What To Do When You Need Emergency Passport?

What To Do When You Need Emergency Passport

Emergencies can strike at any time and from anywhere. Many of us live with family members spread around the globe, sometimes on several continents. In other cases, we might be living in another country. Despite our best efforts, we can’t predict the future and all the unexpected events that could occur.

The government is also well aware of this fact and can assist us in emergencies that require us to travel urgently.

In cases of imminent international travel resulting from a serious illness, injury, or the death of a family member or members, an emergency U.S. passport is issued. You will need an emergency passport if you are required to travel to the U.S. in less than 24 hours.

To convince the U.S. Department of State you need to leave the country quickly, you will have to give a compelling reason for your travel. Your emergency passport may be available as soon as 24 hours.

Life-or-death emergency passport for funeral

The most common reason to apply for an emergency passport is for a death emergency. All other documentation required for emergency passport applications will be the same (we will cover all required documentation further in this article), but in the event of a death emergency, you will need to provide one of the following:

  • A death certificate
  • A letter from a doctor signed
  • A statement from the funeral home/mortuary

These documents are essential to expedite your passport application at the passport agency.

Other life-or-death emergency passports

You may also need to travel overseas within 72 hours or 3 business days if you have a life-or-death emergency. These include parents, legal guardians, children, spouses, or siblings. They do not include aunts, uncles, or cousins.

You will need to give a valid reason for your trip along with any other documents.

One of these supporting documents is required:

A letter from a hospital, signed by a doctor, or a letter from a hospice that has been signed by a doctor.

Emergency passport – renewal

Sometimes, you may find yourself in a position where applying for a new passport is not an option. You will need to renew the one you have.

Here are the requirements for applying for an emergency passport renewal.

  • You will need to complete Form DS-82 – U.S. Passport Renew Application for Eligible Persons
  • You will need to attach your current passport with the application
  • You will need to submit 2 passport photos. They must be in color and taken without any eyeglasses.
  • You will need additional documentation if you want to change your passport’s name.

Emergency letter for passport

We’ve mentioned that you’ll need to present supporting documentation, regardless of the nature of your life-or-death emergency. These documents could include a doctor’s letter, a death cert, or letters from a funeral home or hospice.

Remember that documents must be translated into English, even if they were originally issued in another language. Failure to do this could result in your application for an emergency passport being denied by the U.S. Department of State.

Documents needed for an emergency passport

Similar to applying for a regular U.S. passport in case of an urgent need, you’ll need to submit documents that prove you are planning international travel. If you urgently require a passport, you will need the following documents:

  • Formula DS-11 and DS-82
  • To prove your U.S. citizenship, you will need the original, certified U.S. Birth Certificate*, an expired U.S. Passport, or the original U.S. Naturalization Certificate
  • A valid driver’s license or government-issued I.D. must be presented as proof of identity
  • To prove your travel plans, create a travel itinerary
  • Two 2” x 2” passport photos
  • A certified check or money order (payable at the U.S. Department of State)
  • In some cases, you might also require a Letter of Authorization to allow a third person to obtain your emergency passport.

Once you have your checklist of emergency passports, you can apply for your life-or-death emergency passport.

You can apply for an emergency passport domestically through a regional passport agency. However, if applying from abroad, you must go through a U.S. consulate or embassy.

An emergency passport – photos

No matter which expedited passport type you choose, you must submit two passport photos that have a clear background. This is a crucial aspect to ensure that you get your passport fast. Incorrectly taken photos can cause your application to take longer or be rejected.


If you need to travel internationally within 72 hours, and your passport has expired, you’ll have to apply for an expedited passport at a passport agency. You will need to show proof of emergencies such as a signed letter, death certificate, or letter from a morgue. You will also need to complete the application form.

If you are in urgent need of a passport, it is advisable to visit the official U.S. State Department website. This will ensure that you have all the necessary information to apply for a new one.

Many websites claim to offer passport services. However, they may not be able to issue you a passport promptly. But at the Texas Passport Center, we give hassle-free passport courier services for Emergency Passport San Antonio on time. Our services include new passport services, same-day passport renewal, lost passport replacement, adding an extra passport page, passport for a child, and more.

Leave a Reply